A roofing nailer is an excellent handy tool that makes your roofing work fast and accurately.
Whether you are a professional or a homeowner, a roofing nailer can save you time, effort, and money.
You can drive the nail manually for sure, but it will take more time and it is physically demanding as well.
But to get your job done smoothly with a nail gun, you should choose the best roofing nailer. Without a good roofing nail gun, it is impossible to get the features and benefits you need to get your job done perfectly.
What kind of nail gun do roofers use?
Roofers use pneumatic nailers with 3/4 – 1-3/4 inch nails. It is a hassle to carry cords on the roof. Pneumatic nailers provide more power and a consistent supply of nails, unlike corded or battery-powered nailers. Battery-powered nailers are heavier and lack power for long-term projects. Corded or electric nailers often create hassle due to the cord.
10 Best Roofing Nailers for fastest roofing and siding
So you know it is important to get the best nail gun to get your roofing job done.
But since you do not know the ABCD of nail guns, how can you find out the best one? Well, we have come up with 10 top-class roofing nailers with their features and benefits so that you can easily pick the best one.
Hitachi Roofing Nailer / Metabo Roofing Nailer
Hitachi Roofing Nailer comes with everything a DIYer or roofer can expect from a nailer. It has changed its name to the Metabo roofing nailer. Both are the same nailer. Same quality and same features.
It comes with a Pneumatic power feed and returns so that you can operate this nailer in the harshest conditions. If your concern is to get the best pneumatic coil roofing nailer, this is the pick.
Working with different surfaces with different depths is easier now with its tool-less depth adjustment feature. You can easily adjust the depth as per demand and work smoothly.
To reduce wear when working, it offers you a carbide-tipped push lever. Besides, you get the Sideloading magazine that is easy and convenient for quick replenishment
Since you need to work on the roof, the nailer has to be comfortable enough.
This Metabo coil roofing nailer comes with a lightweight design with a long-lasting rubber grip to ensure comfortable gripping for long-term work. You can work for a long time without making your hand nub.
Along with the comfort, these rubber pads will prevent the nailer from sliding off the roof when not in use. With these features, this one should be considered the best roofing nailer.
- Pneumatic power feed for fastest nailing in the toughest conditions.
- Tool-less depth adjustment for different surfaces with different depths.
- Sideloading magazine for easy and convenient replenishment
- Carbide-tipped push lever to reduce wear when working.
- Lightweight design with a long-lasting rubber grip for maximum comfort.
AeroPro CN45N Professional Roofing Nailer
If you want professional-grade roofing, then you should consider the AeroPro CN45N Professional Roofing Nailer. It comes in both sequential and bumps mode. A selective actuation switch is there to switch the mode easily for versatile work.
Since it is a professional roofing nailer, it has to handle tough conditions. That is why it features a heat-treated aluminum hosing designed that allows you to use in the heavy-duty applications. With its tool-free precise adjustable drive depth, you can work with different surfaces with different depths.
Reloading the magazine in every minute is a pain. That is why you will get a single-action side loading magazine having a capacity up to 120 coil nails, meaning that you can work a long time without reloading the magazine. Also, it is lightweight and durable which allows you to work longer and comfortably with this amazing professional roofing nailer.
- This roofing nailer comes with a selective actuation switch that allows you to switch the mode between bump and sequential mode for versatile work
- It features a heat-treated aluminum hosing designed that allows you to use this nailer in the heavy-duty application.
- With its tool-free precise adjustable drive depth, you can adjust the depth without tool and work with different surfaces with different depths.
- You will get a single-action side loading magazine having a capacity up to 120 coil nails for a long time work without reloading the magazine.
- It is lightweight and durable which allows you to comfortably work longer on your roof.
3PLUS Coil Roofing Nailer
If you want the combination of power and accuracy, you can consider the 3PLUS Coil Roofing Nailer. It comes with air power to provide maximum power for the roofing job. You will get a tool-free adjustable depth of drive to deliver a controllable and consistent nail fit with different depth surfaces.
Like the previous one, this one has an Interchangeable trigger to switch between a single shot or a bumper fire function. Along with that, an adjustable shingle guide is there for quick shingle spacing. When working on the roof, it is a hassle to handle the nailer when not in use.
To prevent this hassle, it features integrated side skid pads that prevent the nailer from sliding off the roof. Also, reloading magazines too often is pain. This nailer has magazine capacity up to 120 coils that eliminate the need for reloading too often. Its 360° tool-free air exhaust that directs the hot air and dust away from your face.
- It comes with airpower that provides maximum power for different types of roofing jobs with toughness.
- You will have tool-free depth-adjustment to deliver you controllable and consistent nail fit every time.
- This nailer has an Interchangeable trigger that allows you to switch between a single shot or a bumper fire function.
- It has magazine capacity up to 120 coils that support you longer time and eliminates the need for reloading too often.
- With its 360° tool-free air exhaust, it directs the hot air and dust away from your face and offers a cleaner surface.
BOSTITCH Roofing Nailer – – Fastest Roofing Nailer
How can I make my roof faster?
Well, simple, just use the fastest roof nailer.
BOSTITCH Roofing Nailer is the fastest roofing nailer for its higher force, patented magazine, and zero nail lockout.
It comes with a higher force at 100 psi that allows you to drive nails up to 100 per minute. At that time, you can fast reload the magazine with its patented single-action side load canister. This is what makes it the fastest roofing nail gun.
This lightweight and durable nailer is designed to work for roofing, insulation board, exterior drywall, and fiber cement applications.
With its Tool-free depth-of-drive adjustments, you can easily adjust the depth and work with different surfaces.
To prevent any dry fire when the magazine is empty, there is a zero nail lockout that eliminates dry firing and also, tells you when it requires to reload.
The nailer is made of aluminum construction that offers maximum durability and maneuverability. Due to this construction, it is lightweight and easy to use.
Also, you will have a tool-less gauge that you can use to control shingle spacing in a large area like a roof. For additional comfort, it has molded rubber grip and skid-resistant pads to keep the nailer on the side when not working.
- Higher power with a force of 100 psi to drive 100 nails per minute for fastest.
- Tool-free depth-of-drive adjustments to work with different surfaces.
- Zero nail lockout to prevent dry firing.
- Patented single-action side load canister for faster magazine reload.
- The nailer is made of aluminum construction that is lightweight and offers maximum durability and maneuverability.
WEN Coil Roofing Nailer
Wen roofing nailer is a renowned and popular nailer you can use for your roofing job. It uses pneumatic operating pressure to deliver up to 430-inch-pounds of force at a 100 PSI to ensure that your siding stays in right place. Its depth control allows you to control the depth as per the surface depth to let you be versatile in work.
With its rubber grip handle, it removes fatigue and ensures comfort during long time jobs. At the same time, the turnable exhaust valve located on top of the nailer allows users to let the hot air go away. You will get a quick-release that ensures easy jams fixing even if it gets jam so it can be the best roofing nailer for easy use.
It has an adjustable shingle guide that allows you easy shingle spacing when working on the roof. Besides, this nailer can hold up to 120 nails to remove the every minute reloading. Even you will get oil, mold carrying case, and hex wrenches for more convenience.
- This nailer uses pneumatic operating pressure to generate up to 430-inch-pounds of force to ensure that your siding stays in right place.
- Its depth control lets you control the depth as per the surface depth so you can work on different projects.
- With its rubber grip handle, you will have no fatigue and get comfort during long time jobs.
- The turnable exhaust valve located on top of the nailer makes sure the hot air goes away from the user’s face.
- This nailer can hold up to 120 nails to allow you to work for a long time with higher efficiency.
DEWALT Roofing Nailer – Best Roofing Nailer For Fast Delivery
If your concern is to get a high-speed roofing nailer for fast delivery, the DEWALT Roofing Nailer can be a good option. You can drive the nails and it will stay in the place thanks to its Operating pressure of 70-120 PSI. It comes with valve technology and uses hydraulic-power to drive up to 10 nails per second so it can be the best roofing nailer for fast delivery.
With its high lifetime engine seals and feed system, it offers durability as well as long life. A depth adjust wheel comes with numbered detents to allows you to drive nails into a variety of materials to the proper depth. You have a lightweight and ergonomic design to easily move and drive nails on the roof.
You can have a clear surface with the fixed exhaust. To protect the nailer from sliding down from the roof, it features steel skid plates along with rubber inserts. An over-mold grip is there for better gripping and additional comfort.
- It comes with valve technology and uses hydraulic-power that operates at 70-120 PSI to drive up to 10 nails per second.
- With its high lifetime engine seals and feed system, it ensures a longer service life for you.
- You will have a clear working surface with the fixed exhaust that drives the dust and debris away from the surface.
- A depth adjust wheel comes with numbered detents so that you can drive nails into a variety of materials.
- You have a lightweight and ergonomic design for comfort use where its steel skid plates along with rubber inserts protect the nailer from sliding down from the roof.
MAX USA Roofing Nailer – Best Roofing Nailer For Higher Safety
When your concern is getting a professional-grade pneumatic roofing nailer, the MAX USA Roofing Nailer can be a perfect option. As the name implies, it is a pneumatic nailer, meaning that you will have enough power to complete your roofing task with power. With its easy depth control, you can easily adjust the depth without any tool.
You can have more holding power with its full round head driver. It features tar resistant nose that resists tar 4 times longer than traditional nailers. To get rid of jamming, this nailer comes with a magnet that holds the last nail in place. For easy ripping, you will get rubber grip as well.
Maintenance is easy here, thanks to its maintenance-free end cap filter that prevents foreign substances from going into the tool to ensure durability to the internal parts. This tool is equipped with a swivel plug that reduces the tangling of the air hose where a trigger lock prevents any accidental firing for additional safety that makes it the best roofing nailer for higher safety in the list.
- It is a pneumatic nailer with a full round head driver that provides and holds enough power to complete your roofing task.
- You can easily adjust the depth without any tool to work in different projects with its easy depth control.
- It offers comfort with its rubber grip and jam-free operation with its magnet feature.
- Maintenance is easy for its maintenance-free end cap filter that prevents foreign substances from going into the tool.
- This tool features a swivel plug to reduce the tangling of the air hose where a trigger lock prevents any accidental firing for additional safety.
Freeman Roofing Nailer – Best coil roofing nailer for siding
can you use a coil roofing nailer for siding
Freeman Roofing Nailer is an amazingly fastest roofing nailer in the market designed for roof and wall sheathing, asphalt and cedar shingles, flooring underlayment, siding installation, and fences. It is compatible with 15-degree wire Collated roofing nails that allow you to drive nails from an angle and work efficiently. A bump fire trigger is there to drive nails with precision. We have a complete guide on cedar shingles nailers. Check it out.
You can adjust the nail depth by simply turning a wheel near the trigger where its comfort grip ensures comfort and reduces fatigue. A fire Lock is there to prevent any accidental firing. To ensure jam-free firing, you have the magnetic nail holder that aligns the nails when loading.
With its air filter/ anti-dust cap, it keeps all the dust and debris away from the tool for better durability. Its body is made of rugged and lightweight die-cast magnesium that offers long shifts durability. An anodized aluminum cylinder and one-piece drive blade are there as well for more durability.
- It is compatible with 15-degree wire Collated roofing nails with a bump-fire trigger that allows you to drive nails from an angle with precision.
- You can adjust the nail depth with its turning a wheel near the trigger where it ensures comfort and reduces fatigue with its comfort grip.
- A fire Lock is there for you to reduce any accidental firing where its magnetic nail holder ensures jam-free firing.
- With its air filter/ anti-dust cap, this tool keeps all the dust and debris away from entering the tool for better durability.
- It is made of die-cast magnesium and features anodized aluminum cylinder and one-piece drive blade that offers long shifts durability
NuMax Pneumatic roofing nailer – Best Roofing Nailer For High Performance
If you are looking for the best roofing nailer for high performance, you should consider NuMax Pneumatic roofing nailer. It provides 70-115 PSI with 21-degree driving capacity that makes it a perfect option for roofing, framing, flooring, and other jobs. Also, its depth adjustment allows you to work with different surfaces.
With its interchangeable trigger, you can switch between quick-fire for fast nailing and single fire for precise nailing. An air filter keeps the internal parts safe from dust and debris where its 360-degree exhaust channels the hot air away from you. For additional internal security, it features an anti-dry fire that stops firing when the nail count is low along with magnesium body protection.
A good handle makes all the difference. That is why this amazing nailer offers you an ergonomic grip so you can work for a long time without any fatigue. Besides, its no-slip teeth prevent the nailer from sliding off when not in use where the no-mar tip keeps the working surface clean and clear.
- It provides 70-115 PSI with 21-degree driving capacity with depth adjustment that makes it a perfect option for roofing, framing, flooring, and other jobs.
- With its interchangeable trigger, it becomes easy to switch between quick-fire for fast nailing and single fire for precise nailing.
- Its 360-degree exhaust channels the hot air away from you where an air filter keeps the internal parts safe from dust and debris.
- It features magnesium body protection with anti-dry fire that stops firing when the nail count is low for maximum service life.
- You have the no-mar tip that keeps the working surface clean where its no-slip teeth prevent the nailer from sliding off.
Makita Roofing Coil Nailer
Up next is the Makita Roofing Coil Nailer. You know about the brand ‘Makita’, right? It is one of the most popular brands for power tools. This tool is a combination of power and durability. With its high power and tool-less depth adjustment, you can easily work on different surfaces for different projects.
Its nail capacity is 120 that ensures less loading time where the easy loading adjustable canister system delivers faster and more precise loading. You have the built-in magnet that drives the last nail to prevent misfire and loss of nails and its tool-free shingle, you can easily drive a nail with accurate distance.
This nailer offers long-lasting performance with its large carbide inserts on nose piece where the rubberized handle fits better and adds comfort. Also, it weighs only 5.2 lbs that is lightweight to lift and work. For durability, it has an oversized steel wear plate. Cleaning is easy here because the nose assembly can be easily removed.
- You can easily work on different surfaces for different projects with its high power and tool-less depth adjustment.
- Its nail capacity is 120 that ensures less loading time where for easy loading, it has an adjustable canister system.
- Its built-in magnet drives the last nail to prevent misfire and its tool-free shingle allows you to drive a nail with the same distance.
- You will have a long-lasting performance for its large carbide inserts on nose piece and comfort for the rubberized handle.
- It has an oversized steel wear plates that resist wear and tear and deliver a long-lasting service life.
What makes a nailer best for roofing?
So what makes a nailer best for roofing? Well, here are a few things that can play a vital role to make a nail gun best.
Style of the gun
You will find two styles of nail gun in the market. One is strip style and another is coil-style. In the strip style method, nails are forged together in a strip style or in a stick. These nails are held together by paper, wire, or plastic. Strip style gun is more balanced because the weight of all the nails is distributed through the gun.
On the other hand, in the coil style nailer, all the nails are held together in a coil. The wire generally holds the nails and the coil of all these nails are stored within a round space. These nail guns can hold more nails than strip nailer but its weight is centered in the middle.
There are basically three types of power sources available. Pneumatic, battery-powered, and fuel-powered. Pneumatic nail guns get power from an air compressor. Its power is almost limitless, you can have more powerful air compressor to get more power. However, you need an outlet to get power for the air compressor and it takes time to build up the pressure. Also, you cannot go far away from the air compressor as well because there are a power cord and rubber hose attached to the compressor.
Battery power nail gun gets power from the battery, as the name implies. These are excellent for the places where no other power sources are available and you can anywhere with it. Also, it is a lot faster than others and you can do versatile work with it. However, it is not as powerful as pneumatic or fuel-driven nailers and
Lastly, fuel-powered nail gun that gets its power from fuel, especially from gas. There are deposable gas cartridges inside the gun and a battery to provide the spark it needs to drive the nail. These nailers are as powerful as pneumatic and as portable as battery-powered guns, but the problem is you need to buy and carry gas cartridges often. Even sometimes, cartridges are not available nearby.
If you want to know details the pros and cons of all these nail guns styles, you should visit our guide here.
Four types of nail delivery modes are available. Full sequential trigger, Single sequential trigger, Contact trigger, and single actuation trigger.
In the full sequential trigger firing mode, you need to push the safety tip to the surface first and then push the trigger. For every fire, you can drive only one nail and to drive another nail, you need to pull back the safety tip, and follow the methods from first. It removes the possibility of misfiring.
In the Single sequential trigger mode, you need to push the safety tip and then push the trigger. But you do not have to pull back the safety tip for another nail firing.
The contact trigger is not the same. You need to activate the safety tip and the trigger at first and then you can keep firing until you release the trigger and every time you push the safety tip. It is tough to control but can drive more nails at once.
And lastly, a Single actuation trigger that is similar to contact trigger. You have to activate both the trigger and safety tip to fire. But, to fire again, you have to push the safety tip again and then push the trigger.
If you want to know details the pros and cons of all these nail guns styles, delivery methods, and power sources, you should visit our guide on types of nail guns.
What to consider before buying a roofing nailer
Now finding the best roofing nailer is not that easy because you need to consider some important things while buying a roofing nailer. If you miss these things, you may not get the best one. It involves something that keeps your roof from falling on you and your family. That is why we have come up with a buying guide that you should follow to get the best one.
Choose the right gun type
You need the roofing nailer to repair or install your roof. To complete your project, you should focus on the right type at first. As we discussed above, there are several types of nail guns. If you need high power then you should choose either pneumatic or fuel-powered. If you have power sources available, it would be better to go for the pneumatic.
But for remote area work, you need a portable one, meaning that a fuel-powered or battery powered. If you have enough gas cartridges, you should go for the fuel-powered, otherwise, choose battery-powered cordless nail gun.
At the same time, look for the nail capacity. If you need higher nail capacity, you should go for the coil roofing nailer. But for small capacity demand, strip style is the best.
Moreover, look for nail delivery. As a beginner, you should choose a single sequential or single actuation method since full sequential is the slowest but safe and contact method is for highly skilled people.
With the combination of all three, you should choose the right nailer for your roofing project that will ensure enough speed, enough power, and enough safety. Consider the roofing materials, meaning that the materials your roof is made of and the place where you will work to make a better decision.
Durability and Construction
After choosing the right type of nail gun, it is time to look for construction and durability. Since roofing is an outdoor task, most of the roofing nailers are made to withstand tough conditions. That is why most of the nailers are made of aluminum or steel. You should choose one that is made of either steel or aluminum. Based on the construction, the nailer will provide your durability, comfort, and smooth operation.
At the same time, since you want to use the nailer for a long time, it has to be durable enough. But make sure you know how to maintain a roofing nailer. If you do not know how to do it, you should follow our complete guide on nail gun maintenance tips.
Ease of use
Nailing is tough work and nailer is here to make this job easy. That is why you should look for the ease of use so that you can get maximum comfort and convenience during working and get the job done with smoothness.
Make sure the gun load easily. One of the main problems with the nailer is loading nails. When it comes to roofing nailing, you do not have the luxury to easily sit on a chair and load nails. So the nailer you will choose should have an easy nail loading mechanism.
Besides, check the weight of the nailer. It should not be too heavy since you need to lift it to drive nails and carry it from one place to another. On the other hand, it should not too lightweight that you cannot enjoy working with. Instead, it has to be a medium weight that you can lift and carry easily with full comfort.
When it comes to comfort, handle plays the most important role. So make sure your nail gun’s handle has an ergonomic design, it is easy to grip and ensures enough softness for maximum comfort.
Versatility refers to the tasks you can do with the roofing nailer. Also, it tells you what types of materials, you can drive the nail. When purchasing a nail gun for roofing, you need to look for the versatility as you are not going to use t for once in your life. But you are not going to repair or install the roof either if you are not a contractor or professional roof repairer.
So make sure you can use the roofing nailer for other tasks such as putting up siding. Also, you need to check whether it is suitable or powerful enough to drive nails on different surfaces. The more things you can do with the nailer, the better buy it will be.
There are some other features you should look at as well. Safety is one of them. A good grip offers great safety as it offers good friction when you place it on a slanted roof. It prevents your nailer from sliding down. Also, check the firing mode as well whether it offers safe firing modes or not.
Other than that, make sure it has depth adjustment so that you can work with materials with different depths. Jam cleaning should be easier. Though good roofing nailers do not jam often, when it does, it should be cleaned easily. It should have a directional exhaust so that you can easily direct debris and dust away from your face for more efficient work. A carrying case should be there as well that will let you carry the gun easily.
If you can follow these tips, you can make a good purchase for sure.
Why should you buy a roofing nailer?
So, you are going to spend a lot of money to buy a roof nail gun. That is why it is important to know the benefits you can get from a roofing nail gun. Here are the reasons why you should buy a roofing nailer.
- Roofing nailer is automated that means it can drive nails faster than a hammer or manual driving. Thus it takes less time to complete your roofing project.
- It is safer than manual nailing, a lot of people get injured when working with a hammer to drive nails to your roofing projects.
- Since the nail gun itself hold a lot of nails, you do not need to carry a separate box full of nails. That means it saves a lot of space and keeps your working area clean.
- It is efficient, you can drive a lot of nails within a short time. You can complete the task faster and thus save a lot of time, effort, and money.
- Roofing nailer is extremely easy to use, any beginner can use it and it will provide you consistent force every time.
- It is popular for its accuracy and precision. You can precisely drive nails with full accuracy when you are skilled with the help of a roofing nailer.
Roofing Nailer Safety and Security Tips
Every year 42000 nail gun injuries are recorded in the USA and around $338000000 is spent for rehab, medical care, worker’s camp, and emergency room care. You can easily imagine how dangerous it is. That is why you should use a nail gun safely. Here are the tips for you.
Since there are different firing modes, you should choose the right type of firing mode that will be safe for you.
If possible, take training on how to use do roofing work with a nail gun. It will help you know every single safety tips practically.
Before loading the nailer or clearing the jam, make sure you turn off the nailer and disconnect the power source.
Use safety glasses, boots, helmets, gloves, and dresses so that you can remain safe in case anything happens.
Make sure your working area is clean and no one is around you or opposite the side you are driving the nails.
Roofing nailer using tips
Since you are new in this field, you should know how to work properly. Here are a few roof nail gun using tips for you.
- Safety always comes first, so make sure you follow the safety tips I have mentioned above.
- Now make sure you have the right power source and right nails for your project. If you do not know what size nails are perfect for you, you can visit our guide on how to choose the right nails for nailing projects.
- Then load the magazine, and set up the depth. Make sure you turn off the gun before doing it.
- Adjust the exhaust deflector and then set the firing modes. You are almost done.
- Power on the gun and do some free fire to find out the rhythm. After finding that, you are all set to go.
If you want to know details about how you can use nail gun safely then you should visit our guide on How to use a nailer safely like a pro
Frequently asked question
Do you still have any questions? I hope not. But if you have any questions, you can check out our frequently asked questions by the user. You may find your answer here and if you don’t, you can leave a comment in our comment box.
Well, brad nailers are designed to drive brads, a thin nail that you can use for DIY projects. It is not suitable for roofing. So you cannot use a brad nailer for your roofing projects.
As the name implies, roofing nailers are used for installing a new roof or repairing old roofs. These nailers are designed to drive nails to asphalt and fiberglass shingles and also, nails that go longer between refills. It is easy to use and do faster nailing for roofing.
Roofing nailers are specially designed to do roofing. If you use a regular nail gun, it might not be able to drive nails to that hard surface. Also, it will so tough for you to get the job done.
You can use roofing nailer to shoot siding nails, but you have to do it blindly. Meaning that you cannot see the head of any nails when driving the nails. So you should not use roofing nailer for shooting siding nails. It will make your job worse.
The main difference between a roofing nailer and a siding nailer is that roofing nailers are designed to nail shingles and siding nailers are designed to do siding tasks such as woodworking.
Wrapping up and top pick
Finding the best roofing nailer is really important because it will give you enough power, convenience, easy jam cleaning, easy loading mechanism. That is why we have reviewed some top-class roofing nailers in the market with their features and benefits so you can easily choose the right one for you.
All of them are excellent and provide good customer value. However, if you ask me to pick the best one according to me, I will pick Hitachi roofing nailer. Though the fight is between max roofing nailer vs Hitachi. Both of them offer Pneumatic power with a tool-less depth adjustment feature and lightweight design. However, you will get feed and return to use the Hitachi nailer in the toughest conditions, side loading magazine for quick replenishment, carbide-tipped push lever for less wear, and some other benefits extra. So I will pick the Hitachi nailer.