DIY fencing requires nailing thousands of nails.
Without a nail gun, it will be like a nightmare.
If you can use a nail gun properly, the nailing will be lots of fun.
But how to use a nail gun for fencing properly?
Well, the process is not that tough. All you need to do is to follow the steps below.
Pick the right type of nail gun for your projects.
You will need different types of nailers for different types of fences. They are described below.
- It is recommended to use a brad nailer for building a wood fence. These fences are used to mark the area around your land.
- You can use a staple gun if you build a mesh wire fence to keep animals on a farm. Cattle can be contained in these types of fences.
- When you build a large fence for privacy concerns, using a framing nailer is more beneficial. Usually, big-sized buildings or apartments use these types of fences.
- You should use a staple nail gun for the pallet wood fence. These types of fences are used to provide boundaries around children’s play areas.
- The marble fence pickets are attached with a brad nailer. These nailers are powerful enough to penetrate marble wood.
At which angle should you use the nailer?
To complete fencing jobs, you can use a 21-degree nail gun or a 30-degree nail gun. However, there are some major aspects you need to judge before choosing any of those degree nailers. The first major difference between these two nailers is their type of nail head.
The 21° nailer has a full head round, whereas the 30° nailer comes with a clipped head. The head difference between the nails provides different shear strengths. The full round head nails provide extra shear strength, which is why they are used for construction and building purposes.
Another advantage of using a 21-degree nailer is that you can use galvanized nails in it. This type of nail is especially beneficial because it won’t get rusted in tough weather. However, you can get only 70 nails in a magazine, so you have to reload it more often.
The 30-degree nailer doesn’t have this problem as it has two magazines that can store more (90-120) nails. The clipped head nails are also paper-collated, so they do not provide extra mass to the fence.
But as the nails are paper-collated, they start falling apart at the time of rain. As a result, the nails get rusted. So choose the degree of nailer according to your area’s climate and the size of your workspace.
Building a fence with a nail gun
The process of building a fence with a nail gun is described below.
Step 1: Build the first post
- First, build the initial post.
- Make sure to level the base of the post perfectly so that it won’t fall apart even in the fast wind.
- Then hold a marker and a meter gauge.
- Use the meter gauge to mark the 6 to 8-foot distance from the first post with the help of the marker.
- You can choose this horizontal difference according to your area’s terrain.
- Now on that pointer, build the next post.
- Use this process to build the next posts.
Step 2: Attaching rails and slats to the posts
- After you have built all the posts, go to the first post and attach a rail to it.
- You have to attach the nail with the help of a nail gun.
- Extend that rail to the next post and nail it with a nail gun.
- Make sure to use a leveler to be as horizontal as possible.
- Then take a slat and attach it to the fence with the help of the nailer.
- Use this same process to attach the rails and slats to all the fence posts with the nail gun.
A fence provides extra security to your properties and increases their elegance. The pickets of the fence are attached with nails. This nail can be attached manually with a hammer.
However, to decrease time and energy, using a nail gun is much better. So if you want to build a fence with a nail gun, you need to know “How to use a nail gun for fencing.”
First, you have to build a post and then mark it at 6 to 8 feet away with the help of a measurement tape. Then build the following posts in the same process. Attach rails and slats to the post. Make sure to level the base of the posts properly.