It could be frustrating when your nail gun gets jammed. It is a widespread nail gun problem that most nail gun owners face. Even if you have the best nail gun in the world, jamming will happen and you cannot do anything but unjam it.
That is why it is better to know how to unjam a nail gun, and I am sure you are here to know that. Start with switching off the nailer. Open the barrel and then check the problem. Now slowly remove the jammed nails and reinstall the nailer as it was.
I know it seems difficult to understand. But don’t worry, we have a complete step by step guide for you so that you can easily understand the process and remove the jams.
Reasons a Nail Gun Could Get Jammed
There are tons of reasons why a nail gun could get jammed. Before learning the method of how to unjam a nail gun, we should know the causes first.
- Wrong Nails: If you have bought the wrong size or shapes of nails for your nail gun, it might get jammed. You have to insert the proper form of nails as the nail gun is not compatible with every kind of nail.
- Wrong Direction: While loading nails in the nail gun, a few nails can face the wrong direction. This issue can lead your nail gun to get jammed.
- Hidden Nails: When a hidden piece of the nail gets stuck in your nail gun, it can hinder the movement of driving blades because of a collision between the nails and driving blades.
- Needs cleaning: Your favorite nail gun may get dusty and dirty if you don’t clean it frequently. Too much filth can cause jam that prevents the nail gun from shooting nails.
- Not enough lubricated: Nail guns require oil or lubricants. If your nail gun is not slippery enough, it may get jammed.
There might be some other problems with your nail gun. We have a complete guide on nail gun problems and solutions. You can check that out.
How to Unjam a Nail Gun Like a Pro
let’s drive you through the process.
Step 1: Switch off the power source
First of all, turn off the power source of your nail gun. Remove the batteries or the cord. Double-check that there is no way to turn it on mistakenly while you are fixing it. Having the power source on might cause accidental firing that can lead to fatal injuries.
Place a piece of cloth directly under the nail gun on a flat surface. Put it in a way you can see the nail clearly after releasing it from the barrel. Do not face the gun towards you to prevent unwanted facial injuries.
Step 2: Barrel Opening
Open the barrel or magazine and look for its release switch. This release lever allows you to detach the nails that are wedged inside. Do not worry if your nailer doesn’t have any release switch. Search for any nails in the barrel that are backward or stuck inside the barrel.
A few nail guns contain two nose bolts on the front. Pull apart those nose bolts from the nail gun’s magazine to detach the nose plates.
So examine your nail gun properly and do this step correctly.
Step 3: Inspection
Take your time to check the main reason that caused a nail jam in your nailer. For this, you have to check several parts of your nail gun. Firstly, check the magazine if there is any blockage on the top. Check that the driver blades are alright and that no metal or component is stuck.
Step 4: Take the Jammed nails out
Once you have found the wedged nail inside your nail gun, try to pull it out. You can use your fingers or withdraw the nail with pliers. You can also tilt it with another nail. This step might be very time-consuming, so you have to keep patience; the nail will get out in the end. Keep trying until it comes out of the way.
This step is only required for nail guns that don’t contain lever switches and are challenging to open. If your nail gun has a release switch, press the button and drop the nails off. Some nail gun models comprise a flip-style mechanism on the nailer’s nose, allowing the magazine to let the nails out.
Step 5: Reassemble
After you have got the nails facing incorrectly, start refilling the nail gun with all nail guns facing the correct direction. Make sure that they are facing toward the opening.
Step 6: Reconnect Power Source
Shut down the barrel carefully. Restore the power store by connecting to the cord or placing the batteries. Then start your project again.
Here is the video if you have a pneumatic nailer
Safety Measurements While Removing the Jams of the Nailer
You have to maintain safety measures when you are dealing with these tools. A little bit of carelessness can make you injured. A few safety measures are here for you so that you can take them before starting your work.
- Turn the barrel of the nail gun away from your face and body.
- While unjamming a nail gun, wear safety goggles, earplugs, and a hard hat.
- Disconnect the power source of your nail gun.
- Do not remove a jammed nail with your hands because it can injure your fingers.
- Gently deal with the release lever.
How to unjam a Paslode nail gun
- Step 1: Detach the battery and fuel cell from the nail gun.
- Step 2: Release the front nose plate or take out the two front nose bolts. Some models (IM360Ci, PPN35, PPN35Ci, IM90, IM90i) have thumbscrews that hold the nail magazine. Loosen the thumbscrew to open it up.
- Step 3: Remove the nail that is jammed from the magazine tool and clear the jam.
- Step 4: Push the driver blades until it stops to ensure it is in the reset position.
- Step 5: Close the nose and assemble it again.
- Step 6: Reload the battery and fuel cell again.
- Step 7: Examine once before you get started.
How to unjam a Dewalt nail gun
Follow the process to know how to get a jammed nail out of a dewalt nail gun.
- Step 1: Disconnect the power source and remove the battery. Examine your battery that it is adequately charged and not damaged.
- Step 2: Open up the barrel. Thoroughly clean the magazine tools and the entire nail gun if it has built up dust and debris.
- Step 3: Observe your magazine tool and driving blades. Search for the jammed nail hindering your nail gun’s movement. If you see it, carefully remove it manually.
- Step 4: Push back the driving blades to their reset position at the end.
- Step 5: Insert your batter again.
How to unjam a Bostitch nail gun
- Step 1: Firstly, put a few drops of oil directly on the slide channel.
- Step 2: Remove the strip of nails.
- Step 3: Open up the magazine tool, nose, and driving blades.
- Step 4: If you can see the jammed piece of wood or nail, remove it with a screwdriver.
- Step 5: If there is no jammed nail, the main problem might be the o-rings. Repair the o-rings or fix it.
How to unjam a Framing Nail gun
- Step 1: Turn off the power source. If you own a cordless nail gun, then remove the battery.
- Step 2: Remove the fasteners to prevent unwanted injuries if any nail flies out suddenly.
- Step 3: Loosen the two screws below the depth adjustments by applying the Allen wrench.
- Step 4: Carefully separate the magazine tool from the nose assembly by using a screwdriver. Now you could see the jammed nail behind the driving blades.
- Step 5: Push the driver blade down and clear the jam manually. If the wreck is tight, push the driver blade with a screwdriver to clear the blockage.
- Step 6: Assemble everything like before. Turn on your power source.
How to unjam porter cable nail gun (porter cable nail gun fn250sb jammed)
- Step 1: Pull back the connector’s brass ring and remove the air hose.
- Step 2: Tap the release switch on the bottom of the gun to release the nail clip.
- Step 3: Check out the nail clip because nail or wooden pieces can get stuck here.
- Step 4: Take away the stuck nails with a flat screwdriver. Needle-nose pliers can also help you to do this.
- Step 5: Reload the clip and again connect to the air hose.
How to unjam a craftsman nail gun
Step 1: Switch off the power source and disconnect the chord of your nail gun from electricity.
Step 2: Search for the release switch after opening up the barrel.
Step 3: If there is no release lever, check the barrel for any jammed or misaligned nails.
Step 4: Remove the stuck nail manually with another nail or with needle-nose pliers. Do this step carefully.
Step 5: Refill the nail gun again with nails properly. Make sure that they all are facing in the right direction.
Do your coil nailer jam? Check this video.
Nail gun not shooting nails
When a nail or wood piece gets stuck into a nail gun, it leads to a jam. When you press the trigger of your nail gun, it rejects to fire nails which you realize in the middle of your task. It is one of the most common problems a nail gun owner frequently faces. Don’t panic when your nail gun is not shooting nails. The most likely reason is that your nail gun has been jammed or any tool is damaged.
Tips for preventing Jams
- Oil your nail gun regularly: Your nail gun requires oil every day because oiling can reduce friction while firing nails. Good lubricant makes the fire smooth and on point. Pour 2-3 drops of oil directly into your nail gun daily. Check the guide for How to oil a nail gun if you don’t know how to do it.
- Ensure the loaded nails face in the same direction: A misaligned nail can lead to a jammed nail and drive the whole nail gun system into a blunder. If you encounter this, then follow the guide mentioned above.
- Driving blades do not contain any hidden piece of wood or nail: The friction between the driving blades and the nail gun’s nails forces the fired nail to bend and get stuck. Try to avoid firing nail guns on thick wooden sheets and metals.
- Clean your nail gun: Clean your nail guns often and not let dust and debris build up inside. Clean up the magazine tool and driving blades gently.
- Use the specific shape of nails for your nail gun: Tons of sizes and shapes of nails are available on the market. Always use the right size nails that suit perfectly with your nail gun. Otherwise, it can lead to a jam.
Troubleshooting a nail gun is simpler than you think. You may frequently struggle with jammed nails in our nail gun. Taking it to the expert will be expensive as well as time-consuming. But if you know how to unjam a nail gun on your own, you don’t have to worry about these factors.
When your nail gun gets jammed next time, try to understand the reason behind it and then get started. Follow the instructions carefully that are given in this article. All you need to do is to remember the steps while unjamming a nail gun. Neither will it require any special equipment, nor will you find it challenging.